Postdoctoral Fellow, Musculoskeletal Regenerative Med - Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history!
At Novartis, we are committed to training the next generation of scientific leaders. This postdoctoral fellowship offers aspiring drug hunters a unique opportunity to join our biology and engineering teams at the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF). Mentored by GNF scientific leaders, the postdoctoral fellow will gain first-hand experience in the design and development of breakthrough therapies and innovative technologies. We are searching for individuals who will bring their scientific creativity and natural curiosity to tackle important therapeutic challenges. Join us as we reimagine medicine together.
The successful candidate will become a key individual contributor in a dynamic and multidisciplinary team focused on uncovering targets to promote tissue repair and resolve abnormal remodeling in disease settings. The candidate will join the mechanobiology postdoc cluster at GNF, working to investigate the mechanobiology of compression in musculoskeletal tissues. Ideal applicants will possess excellent communication and organizational skills, critical problem-solving abilities, and a commitment to excellence.
▪ Design and execute a research plan to elucidate the biology of mechanosensing in musculoskeletal regenerative medicine.
▪ Design, develop, characterize, implement and validate relevant in vitro cell and tissue based assays for identifying novel mechanosensing targets and pathways for further drug discovery.
▪ Collaborate and communicate with other postdocs in the mechanobiology focus cluster as well as engineering and drug discovery teams.
▪ Learn and apply techniques for target discovery and validation under experienced mentors.
▪ Contribute to the development of novel high throughput assay platforms, customized labware, and experimental techniques for the investigation of cell physiology.
▪ Present your work in internal seminars and team meetings, polishing your scientific communication skills in a supportive environment.
▪ Publish and present research results in leading journals and conferences.
What you’ll bring to the role:
▪ MD and/or PhD degree in biology, bioengineering, biomedical sciences, or similar.
▪ 0-3 years post-degree experience. Recent graduates and students in their final academic period are encouraged to apply.
▪ Experience or demonstrated interest in mechanobiology
▪ Strong record of scientific achievement: publications, conference presentations, patents, etc.
▪ Extensive hands on wet lab experience
▪ Courage to try new or challenging ideas as rapidly as possible
▪ Curiosity toward learning cutting-edge industrial drug and target discovery techniques.
▪ Research experience in musculoskeletal tissue types: articular cartilage, intervertebral disc, meniscus, tendon, bone, etc.
▪ Cell and tissue imaging expertise using high throughput or high content methods, confocal, multiphoton, etc.
▪ Experience building 3D in vitro models or tissue constructs
▪ Demonstrated leadership and communication experience beyond the classroom/research lab, such as holding a leadership role in a service organization, club, sports team, etc.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Novartis Inst for Fun Gen inc
Research & Development