Postdoctoral Fellow Epigenetic Regulation Renal Biology Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history!
At Novartis, we are committed to training the next generation of scientific leaders. This postdoctoral fellowship offers aspiring drug hunters a unique opportunity to join our biology and engineering teams at the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF). Mentored by GNF scientific leaders, the postdoctoral fellow will gain first-hand experience in the design and development of breakthrough therapies and innovative technologies. We are searching for individuals who will bring their scientific expertise, creativity and curiosity to tackle important therapeutic challenges. Join us as we reimagine medicine together.
The successful candidate will become a key individual contributor in a dynamic, multidisciplinary team focused on uncovering new biology and innovative targets for kidney disease. The candidate will join the renal postdoc cluster at GNF, working to investigate the contribution of epigenetic regulation to polycystic kidney disease (PKD). Ideal applicants demonstrate excellent communication and organizational skills, critical problem-solving abilities, proactive and independent research strategies and a commitment to excellence.
▪ Design and execute a research plan to elucidate the contributions of epigenetic regulation to the biology of polycystic kidney disease
▪ Design, develop, and characterize relevant in vitro cell and/or tissue based assays investigating the epigenetic regulation contributing to PKD
▪ Implement, and validate those cells experiments to identify novel targets and pathways for further drug discovery.
▪ Collaborate and communicate with other postdocs in the renal focus cluster, bioinformaticians and drug discovery teams.
▪ Learn and apply techniques for target discovery and validation under experienced mentors.
▪ Present your work in internal seminars and team meetings, polishing your scientific communication skills in a supportive environment.
▪ Publish and present research results in leading journals and conferences.
What you will bring to the role:
▪ MD and/or PhD degree in biology, biomedical sciences, or similar.
▪ 0-3 years of post-degree experience. Recent graduates and students in their final academic period are encouraged to apply.
▪ Experience or demonstrated interest in epigenetic regulation or chromatin biology (ChIP seq, high Seq), optimally also in kidney relevant states
▪ Strong record of scientific achievement: publications, conference presentations, patents, etc.
▪ Extensive hands-on wet lab experience with relevant experimental techniques
▪ Courage to try new or challenging ideas as rapidly as possible
▪ Curiosity toward learning cutting-edge industrial drug and target discovery techniques.
▪ Research experience in kidney tissue/cells and/or single cell characterization
▪ Experience with big data analysis and implementation
▪ Cell and tissue imaging expertise using high-throughput or high-content methods, confocal, multiphoton, etc.
▪ Demonstrated leadership and communication experience beyond the classroom/research lab, such as holding a leadership role in a service organization, club, sports team, etc.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Novartis Inst for Fun Gen inc
Research & Development