Sr Scientist I - Discovery Chemistry – Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR) is seeking a highly talented and motivated synthetic/medicinal chemist to join our Discovery Chemistry group at the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF, Novartis) in San Diego, CA. The successful candidate will join an energizing and collaborative research environment working alongside colleagues who are committed to improving human health through the discovery of transformative medicines.
• Passionate about drug discovery and enjoys solving synthetic chemistry challenges
• Utilize contemporary medicinal chemistry principles in the proposal and execution of innovative chemistry strategies
• Maintain high productivity as a laboratory-based synthetic/medicinal chemist
• Collaborate as part of an interactive cross-functional drug discovery team
• Interpret a variety of biological data and plan next steps based on the available information and team guidance
• Scientifically independent with ability to identify and resolve routine obstacles
• Maintain a current understanding of the synthetic literature as well as scientific literature related to the ongoing project
• Collaborate with peers to support a variety of departmental activities
• Represent team’s research at a variety of internal meetings
What you will bring to the role:
• M.S. degree in Chemistry with 1-5 years of industry experience, or B.S. degree in Chemistry with 5+ years of industry experience in the synthesis and characterization of organic molecules
• Knowledge of modern organic synthetic methods
• Knowledge of medicinal chemistry principles
• Experience with common purification and analytical techniques
• Good communication skills and naturally collaborative style
• Able and willing to follow established safety procedures and follow guidelines for documenting work and characterizing compounds
• Exposure to projects in diverse disease areas
• Experience with bifunctional conjugates and chemical biology
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Novartis Inst for Fun Gen inc
Research & Development