BS/MS Sr Scientist I - In vitro / in vivo musculoskeletal biology, GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
A global healthcare leader, Novartis has one of the most exciting product pipelines in the industry today. A pipeline of innovative medicines brought to life by diverse, talented, performance driven people. All of which makes us one of the most rewarding employers in our field. Under the umbrella of the Novartis Institutes for Biomedical Research (NIBR), the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) located in La Jolla, California, has the support of a broad collaboration with the entire Novartis research organization, while maintaining the independence to initiate and drive independent research programs.
This position provides an excellent opportunity for a highly self-motivated and results-driven individual to join the Drug Discovery Biology Group at the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF). The ideal candidate will become a key individual contributor in a dynamic and multidisciplinary team dedicated to uncovering targets to promote tissue repair and resolve abnormal remodeling in disease settings. The candidate will develop cell-based assays, perform high-throughput screens, and validate targets with an opportunity to learn 3D complex assays and in vivo techniques. Ideal applicants will possess excellent communication and organizational skills, critical problem-solving abilities and a commitment to excellence.
• Independently design and execute novel in vitro cell-based experiments that implement project strategy and test independently-generated hypotheses for identifying drug candidates
• Document, analyze and interpret experiments for the evaluation of drug candidates, identifying next steps based on analysis of own data and data from other lab contributors.
• Present results within a multi-disciplinary team environment.
• Skilled collaboration across project team labs, building new network connections within existing project teams to achieve project goals.
• Train members of lab and broader project team in familiar techniques as needed.
What you will bring to the role:
• BS/MS in life sciences discipline with at least 2-3 years laboratory experience in cell culture and assay development
• Human and rodent tissue dissection, primary cell isolation and culture
• Basic molecular biology techniques
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and statistical software
• Cell and tissue imaging expertise using high throughput or high content methods desirable, and/or basic, confocal and multiphoton microscopy skills.
• Knowledge of assays including; histology, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, flow cytometry, protein detection assays
• Experience with 3D culture systems
• In vitro and/or in vivo musculoskeletal biology model experience
• Basic rodent handling and surgery techniques
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Novartis Inst for Fun Gen inc
Research & Development