Sr Principal Scientist - Biologics Discovery group / Novartis - GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
The Biologics Discovery group at GNF is seeking an expert antibody and protein engineer to lead optimization and discovery efforts. The successful Senior/Principal Scientist candidate will join a highly collaborative group of protein scientists and antibody drug hunters devoted to discovering novel biotherapeutics to impact a wide range of human diseases.
• Apply expertise in antibody molecular biology, alternative formats (i.e. conjugates, bispecifics, fragments, etc.)¸ and display technologies (primarily yeast) to antibody discovery and optimization across multiple projects
• Lead a sub-group of scientist(s) to execute protein engineering and antibody discovery/optimization platform efforts such as humanization, affinity maturation, and specificity modulation
• Act as a drug discovery project co-leader, defining the direction of drug discovery endeavors
• Initiate and/or support platform improvements
• Generate, implement, and prioritize innovative ideas, recognize risks and propose mitigation or contingency plans
• Maintain knowledge of internal and external advances in the areas of expertise
• Communicate effectively with diverse project teams and other core groups within NIBR to coordinate structural biology, biophysical characterization, and automation efforts
What you will bring to the role:
• PhD in biochemistry, chemical biology, molecular biology or related discipline with post-doc, or equivalent, 5+ years of industry experience
• Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in the relevant areas of hybridoma and/or B cell based antibody discover; yeast display library design, generation, and screening for antibody optimization and protein engineering
• Hands-on experience with therapeutic antibody discovery projects, including exploration of diverse antibody formats
• Ability to independently synthesize project information into experimental designs, execute and communicate results effectively
• Ability to strategically apply resources to challenging and dynamic projects
• Experience leading and developing talent, creativity, excellent communication skills, and a history of accountability to quality outputs
• Experience in an industry antibody therapeutics group
• Understanding of and/or hands-on experience with any of the following: next-generation sequencing, computational structure-based protein design using state of the art tools (e.g. Rosetta, Schrodinger, MOE, Molsoft), bispecific antibody screening, antibody fragment (scfv’s, single domain antibodies) and protein scaffold discovery
• Experience or interest in advanced binding and functional assay development
• Experience in molecular biology techniques for library generation or high throughput cloning
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges surround you.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine!
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development