Oncology Bioinformaticist / PhD - Novartis / GNF San Diego
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
The Genomics Institute for the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) in San Diego, CA, seeks a bioinformatics data scientist to support our Cancer Therapeutics drug discovery efforts. The successful candidate will be responsible for mining large public (e.g., TCGA, ICGC) and internal pre-clinical and clinical multi-omic data sets for the purpose of generating and exploring new therapeutic hypotheses. The individual will work closely with an interdisciplinary drug discovery team composed of cancer biologists, chemists, computational scientists, and translational specialists.
• Collaborate with a multi-disciplinary team of discovery and translational research scientists to mine and analyze clinical datasets and large tumor and cancer cell line databases in search of new drug targets and novel therapeutic concepts with relevance to cancer.
• Formulate hypotheses that can be tested in pre-clinical validation experiments, then design studies and analyze high-dimensional multi-omic datasets such as bulk and single cell RNAseq, immune-repertoire seq, proteomics, and genome-scale CRISPR library screening.
• Implement and develop state-of-the-art computational methods and data mining strategies to address key challenges in oncology drug discovery, e.g., identify patient population of interest for clinical development, identify novel approaches for difficult to drug cancer drivers; harness anti-tumor immunity; develop improved modeling approaches (multi-cell type cultures) and high-throughput screening data analyses.
What you will bring to the role:
• Ph.D. in bioinformatics, computer science, biochemical engineering (or related field) plus >4 years work experience in an industrial or academic setting, with a strong emphasis on using data science to solve problems in cancer biology and therapeutics development.
• Demonstrated knowledge of cancer genomics and immuno-oncology; experience with translational and clinical science preferred.
• Extensive experience with one or more Next Generation Sequencing (NGS) technologies (e.g., bulk and/or single cell RNA-Seq, ATAC-Seq, etc.) and the analytical tools to support them.
• Significant experience in R or Python and competency working in a Linux/Unix environment; proficiency in other languages, e.g., SQL, java, Matlab is a plus.
• Demonstrated working knowledge and application of biostatistics, data modeling, and machine learning / AI.
• Effective and creative problem solving ability and strong collaboration and communication skills.
• Solid published record in cancer biology, bioinformatics, systems biology or related disciplines.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA