Sr Principal Scientist - Renal Disease - Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
The General Medical Biology Department within GNF is seeking a highly motivated and results-driven team leader with a passion for discovering drugs to transform the lives of patients with renal disease. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of renal physiology and demonstrated success with the development of pre-clinical models of renal function/dysfunction. This individual will work to identify novel drug targets and lead related drug discovery efforts with biologics as well as low molecular weight chemical compounds. This individual will interact collaboratively with colleagues at GNF and across the Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research (NIBR) in these efforts, including to advance the most promising of GNF’s therapeutic candidates into Novartis’ renal drug development pipeline.
• Identify targets and therapeutic candidates with promise for the treatment of various renal diseases (e.g. acute kidney injury and chronic kidney disease).
• Lead a sub-group of scientists to develop and execute in vitro, ex vivo, and/or in vivo models with the goal of advancing potential therapeutics through the GNF preclinical pipeline
• Act as a drug discovery project co-leader together with a biologics or chemistry experts to define the direction of drug discovery endeavors
• Initiate and/or support collaborations across NIBR, as well as academic collaborations to help discover novel targets or improve our understanding of existing targets
• Generate, implement, and prioritize innovative ideas, recognize risks and propose mitigation or contingency plans
• Maintain knowledge of internal and external advances in the areas of expertise
What you will bring to the role:
• Ph.D. in biochemistry, molecular biology, pharmacology, or related discipline with post-doc, or equivalent, and 5-8 years of industry experience
• Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience in the relevant areas of renal biology and physiology with a history of initiating and advancing novel targets and therapeutics
• Ability to independently synthesize project information into experimental designs, execute, and communicate results effectively
• Ability to strategically apply resources to challenging and dynamic projects
• Experience leading and developing scientific talent, while fostering creativity
• Excellent communication skills, a history of accountability, impeccable quality in data and presentations
• Experience developing therapeutics for the treatment of renal disease, ideally through the GLP-toxicology stage
• Expertise in state-of-the art molecular biology techniques
• Expertise in pre-clinical (including in vivo) model development related to kidney function/dysfunction
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers to our drug discovery questions are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk take smart risks, and where people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges surround you.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine!
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development