Principal Scientist I, Cancer Therapeutics – Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
The Cancer Therapeutics department at GNF is recruiting a Principal Scientist for cancer drug discovery. The successful candidate will develop a research program to identify new solid tumor cancer targets using state-of-the-art genomic, small molecule, and secretomic libraries. Validation of targets will lead to new therapeutic discovery projects in which the Principal Scientist will work closely with colleagues in chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacokinetic sciences, and translational research. Beyond discovery of potential first-in-class therapeutic candidates, the researcher will help establish pharmacodynamic readouts using in vitro and preclinical in vivo studies to support clinical biomarker development.
The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of strong scientific achievement in cancer research. Hands-on experience with rodent in vivo cancer models is required, as is expertise in the cell biology of oncogenic signaling pathways. Experience with genetically engineered mouse models or functional genomic screening methods is a plus.
Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Develop new screens and methods to identify tumor cell autonomous cancer targets
• Validate targets in appropriate cell culture and in vivo tumor models
• Assemble robust data packages for new project initiation
• Work effectively as a co-leader in a cross-functional scientific team, influencing team decisions to speed project progression
• Present strategy and scientific findings to the department, governance boards, and NIBR global meetings
• Publish results in high quality scientific journals and present work at external conferences
What you will bring to the role:
• Ph.D. in cancer biology, pharmacology, or other related fields
• 3+ years of post-Ph.D. experience studying cancer biology (industry or academic institution)
• Strong scientific and organizational leadership skills
• Ability to critically assess literature and mine public and internal databases
• Outstanding communication and mentoring skills
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development