Principal Scientist - Computer Aided Drug Design / Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
GNF Structure Based Discovery is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a Principle Scientist position in Computer Aided Drug Design. The successful candidate will work closely with interdisciplinary drug development teams at GNF and throughout the Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research, performing computational drug design to address biomedical need across a wide range of disease areas and drug modalities. The chosen applicant will play an integral role in defining the direction and science of structure-based design at GNF
• Partner with colleagues in medicinal chemistry, structural biology, discovery biology and biotherapeutics to apply innovative computational approaches to accelerate the development of novel drugs.
• Initiate and lead structure-based design projects in relevant therapeutic areas, collaborating with medicinal chemistry and biotherapeutics to optimize design and targeting strategies.
• Evaluate emerging computational and digital techniques and their application to drug discovery workflows.
• Define, implement and communicate computational strategies to cross-disciplinary teams via conventional and state of the art approaches such as Virtual Reality.
What you will bring to the role:
Ph.D. degree in Computational Chemistry/Biology or a related discipline with postdoctoral or equivalent experience in a Computer Aided Drug Design environment.
• Strong track record of scientific accomplishment with experience in a variety of drug discovery techniques such as small molecule ligand and structure-based design, virtual and pharmacophore ligand screening, drug library design, biotherapeutic design, molecular dynamics and computational quantum mechanical techniques.
• Competency in one or more state-of-the-art drug design packages for example, Maestro (Schrodinger), MOE (CCG), Rosetta and ICM (Molsoft)
• Knowledge of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery with capabilities in several of the following areas - bioassays, cheminformatics, SAR analysis and calculation of ADME/Toxicology properties of molecules.
• Excellent written, oral and visual communication skills for work in a number of cross-disciplinary teams.
• Experience in a subset of modern computational skills such as scripting, Knime workflows, data science and machine learning/artificial intelligence.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development