Principal Scientist In Vivo Pharmacology Drug Discovery GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history! For over 21 years, the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for Novartis global research organization, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
The General Medical Biology Department within GNF is seeking a highly motivated and results-driven in vivo pharmacology team leader with a passion for discovering drugs to transform the lives of patients. The successful Principle Scientist candidate will have a deep understanding of in vivo pharmacology, with demonstrated success in developing and deploying pre-clinical animal models for drug discovery. The ability to link preclinical (both in vitro and in vivo) and clinical readouts will be key to success in this position. This individual will interact collaboratively with colleagues at GNF and across the Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research (NIBR) in these efforts, including to advance the most promising of GNF’s therapeutic candidates into Novartis’ drug development pipeline.
• Lead a group of skilled scientists to provide in vivo pharmacology support to multiple project teams across GNF, with the goal of advancing potential therapeutics through the GNF preclinical pipeline
• Act as a pharmacology co-leader on drug discovery project teams to define the direction of drug discovery endeavors
• Identify and implement target-engagement and efficacy biomarkers to facilitate drug discovery project progression across multiple fields of biology
• Generate, implement, and prioritize innovative ideas, recognize risks and propose mitigation or contingency plans
• Maintain knowledge of internal and external advances in the areas of expertise
What you will bring to the role:
• PhD in biology, immunology, or related discipline with post-doc, or equivalent, 3+ years of industry experience
• The ability to develop and execute project strategy
• Extensive knowledge of in vivo pharmacology and a record of establishing PK/PD relationships in preclinical drug discovery models
• Flexibility, strong supervisory skills, and an excellent ability to work with peers.
• Ability to independently synthesize information into experimental designs, execute, and communicate results effectively across multiple project areas
• Experience leading and developing scientific talent, while fostering creativity
• Experience developing therapeutics, ideally through the GLP-toxicology stage
• Experience with in vitro biology methods and endpoints that are relevant to the development of in vivo pharmacodynamic markers
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers to our drug discovery questions are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment where you are given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you are empowered to risk take smart risks, and where people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges surround you.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine!
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development