Senior Scientist – Cancer Therapeutics – Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 21 years of GNF history!
The Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) serves as a bridge between basic science and preclinical drug discovery for Novartis’ global research organization, the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). GNF’s scientists and engineers are committed to pushing the boundaries of science in pursuit of new medicines, exploiting their world-class expertise in advanced automation technologies to tackle the complexity of biological systems.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and independent scientist to join the Cancer Therapeutics department to explore new targets and treatment modalities for cancer indications. The work will involve the design and execution of novel target identification and validation efforts that leverage GNF’s unique automation and functional genomics capabilities. The ideal candidate will have a proven record of developing and validating innovative cell-based assays. Familiarity and experience with flow cytometry, microscopy, genetic tools, and/or CRISPR is highly desirable. The successful candidate will have extensive in vitro laboratory experience (particularly in molecular and cell biology methods) along with the ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-disciplinary drug discovery environment.
• Independently design and execute standard in vitro cellular assays (e.g. cell culture, western blotting, qPCR, vital transductions, etc)
• Collaborate across multidisciplinary teams to develop and validate novel cell-based assays or screening platforms
• Train associates in lab-based techniques as needed
• Data collection, analysis, documentation, interpretation, and presentation.
What you will bring to the role:
• B.S./M.S. degree in biology or related discipline with at least 5 years laboratory experience (industry or academia)
• Experience with standard cell biology and molecular biology/cloning techniques
• Proficiency with relevant data analysis, visualization, and record-keeping software
• Familiarity/experience with in vivo tumor models (xenograft or syngeneic) is preferred, but not required
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work in a highly-interactive and fast-paced drug discovery environment as well as a demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret, and summarize results independently
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development