Senior Scientist - Cancer Drug Discovery - Novartis / GNF
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history! For over 21 years, the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for Novartis global research organization, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
The Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) serves as a bridge between basic science and preclinical drug discovery for Novartis’ global research organization, the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). GNF’s scientists and engineers are committed to pushing the boundaries of science in pursuit of new medicines, exploiting their world-class expertise in advanced automation technologies to tackle the complexity of biological systems.
We are currently seeking a highly motivated and independent scientist with a strong background in the field of cellular and molecular biology to join Cancer Therapeutics Department. The work will involve novel target identification and validation that leverage GNF’s unique automation and functional genomics capabilities. By using a variety of molecular and cell biology approaches you will contribute to the biological understanding of cancer targets, the development of suitable assays for characterization of candidate therapeutics and their progression to preclinical/clinical testing.
While closely interacting with your lab head and colleagues in the group, you will be expected to flexibly contribute to local and global projects as needed and to proactively share knowhow and experience across groups.
• Independently and effectively design, perform and interpret complex experiments to validate targets, screen for novel therapeutics and characterize the hits under the leadership of the lab head.
• Closely work with multiple teams across expertise groups.
• Analyze and communicate own results to department/project meetings.
• Data collection, analysis, documentation and interpretation.
• Efficiently manage and maintain a functional laboratory, technical equipment and tools.
What you will bring to the role:
• B.S./M.S. degree in biology or related discipline with at least 5 years laboratory experience (industry or academia)
• Proficiency and hands-on experience in applying a wide range of cellular and molecular biological methods (siRNA, CRISPR, q-PCR, cloning, western blotting, cell culture, transient/stable cell line generation, cell viability assays)
• Hands-on experience with assay development and miniaturization for high-throughput screening is a plus
• Knowledge of cancer signaling/biology and immune-oncology is preferred
• In vivo experience is a plus, but not required
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Highly organized, detail oriented, enthusiastic about drug discovery with strong work ethics
• Ability to work in a highly-interactive and fast-paced drug discovery environment as well as a demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret, and summarize results independently
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or any other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development