Principal Scientist I, Cancer Therapeutics
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history! For over 21 years, the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for Novartis global research organization, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
We are actively recruiting exceptional scientists, at a variety of levels, to join the Cancer Therapeutics team at GNF (The Genomics Institute for the Novartis Research Foundation, and a division of NIBR, the Novartis Institutes of Biomedical Research). As part of this recruiting drive, we are seeking a cancer biologist or biochemist with extensive experience in oncogenic signaling pathways to develop next generation cancer therapeutics.
The successful candidate will help develop and lead a research program to identify and prosecute cancer targets using state-of-the-art genomic, proteomic, and chemical approaches. You will work closely with scientists in chemistry, protein sciences, pharmacology, pharmacokinetic sciences, data sciences and translational research at GNF and other NIBR sites.
The ideal candidate should have a proven track record of strong scientific achievement in cancer research. Hands-on experience with large-scale functional genomic screening in vitro and in vivo (CRISPR, RNAi), or novel approaches to target previously undruggable targets is a plus.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
• Initiate new screens or develop novel approaches to identify tumor cell autonomous cancer targets
• Validate targets with appropriate cell culture and in vivo tumor models
• Prosecute drug discovery programs and work effectively as a co-leader in a cross-functional scientific team, influencing team decisions to speed project progression
• Present strategy and scientific findings to the department, governance boards, and NIBR global meetings
• Publish results in high quality scientific journals and present work at external conferences
• Ph.D. in Cancer biology, biochemistry or other related fields
• 3+ years of post-Ph.D. experience studying cancer biology (industry or academic institution)
• Strong scientific, organizational and leadership skills
• Ability to critically assess literature and mine bioinformatics databases
• Outstanding communication and mentoring skills
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development