Senior Scientist I – Cancer Therapeutics
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 22 years of GNF history!
We are actively recruiting exceptional scientists, at a variety of levels, to join the Cancer Therapeutics team at GNF (The Genomics Institute for the Novartis Research Foundation, and a division of NIBR, the Novartis Institutes of Biomedical Research). As part of this recruiting drive, we are seeking a highly motivated research scientist with extensive in vitro/cell-based assay development experience to support drug screening and hit validation. The successful candidate will independently develop and implement cell-based and biochemical assays to characterize protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions and oncogenic signaling pathways in cancer. The candidate will also perform secondary assays across various technology platforms to investigate mechanism of action and target-drug interaction. The Cancer Therapeutics department at GNF focuses on developing novel targeted therapies for cancer patients. The candidate will leverage his or her technical expertise in biology and biochemistry to support ongoing drug discovery efforts. The candidate is also expected to work in a highly matrixed multidisciplinary team and collaborate with various functional groups across GNF and NIBR.
• Design, optimize and implement biochemical assays to characterize protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions and small molecule binding, including HTRF, FP, kinase assays, etc
• Perform cell-based assays to study mechanism of action of therapeutic molecules, including Western blotting, immunoprecipitation, ELISA, MSD, flow cytometry, qPCR, immunofluorescence, luminescence-based assay, cell cycle assays, viability assays, etc
• Molecular cloning and functional genomic studies including CRISPR-, siRNA-, shRNA-mediated knockdown and rescue/overexpression to investigate drug-target interactions
• Contribute to workflows involving native DNA/chromatin assays including ChIPseq, ATAC-seq, and MNase assays
• Data collection, analysis, documentation and interpretation
• Regular presentation of data to small and medium-sized groups
• B.S. degree in biology, biochemistry or related discipline with at least 4 years of relevant research experience. M.S. degree with 2 years of relevant research experience.
• Experience with biochemical and cell based assays used to study protein-protein and protein-DNA interactions
• Experience with molecular cloning and/or protein expression and purification is a plus
• Extensive experience with cell culture, functional genomic studies, and routine cell-based assays in the context of oncology
• Candidates with experience with native chromatin DNA assays including ChIP-seq, ATAC-seq, and micrococcal nuclease assays strongly preferred
• Experience with high-throughput (384- and 1536-well format) biochemical and cell-based workflows, including use of robotic systems, a plus
• Excellent oral and written communication skills and record-keeping required; experience with electronic notebooks a plus
• Highly organized, detail-oriented, a team player, enthusiastic about drug discovery, with strong work ethics
• Ability to work independently in a highly interactive and fast-paced drug discovery environment
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.
The Novartis Group of Companies are Equal Opportunity Employers and take pride in maintaining a diverse environment. We do not discriminate in recruitment, hiring, training, promotion or other employment practices for reasons of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status. We are committed to building diverse teams, representative of the patients and communities we serve, and we strive to create an inclusive workplace that cultivates bold innovation through collaboration and empowers our people to unleash their full potential.
La Jolla, CA
Research & Development