Cryo-EM Principal Scientist - Novartis - NIBR/GNF - San Diego
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history! For over 21 years, the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for Novartis global research organization, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
The GNF Structure Based Discovery group is seeking a highly motivated Investigator level cryo-Electron Microscopist with a passion for applying cryo-EM to small molecule and biotherapeutic drug discovery. The successful candidate will work closely with an interdisciplinary team of scientists and collaborate with the cryo-EM community of the Novartis Institute of Biomedical Research to enable innovative structure based drug design. The chosen applicant will play an integral role in defining the direction and science of cryo-EM at GNF.
• Execute on projects within the internal cryo-EM facility at GNF, a Glacios microscope equipped with Falcon 3 and CetaD cameras, interacting closely with cryo-EM colleagues in the Novartis structural biology community to optimize data, extend technology and collect data on the Novartis Titan Krios.
• Work within a group of dedicated structural biologists and protein scientists on cryo-EM sample production and preparation to translate macromolecular samples into three dimensional structure.
• Initiate and lead cryo-EM structural studies of drug targets in relevant therapeutic areas.
• Define, implement and communicate the impact of structural biology results and strategies to cross-disciplinary project teams throughout GNF and Novartis.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development
What you will bring to the role:
• Ph.D. degree with a focus on cryo-EM structural biology
• Experience in routine equipment maintenance, microscope operation, and computational aspects of cryo-EM.
• Experience in the gene to structure pipeline, including construct design, standard molecular biology techniques, recombinant protein expression and purification. (Work with large protein/DNA or RNA i.e nucleosome complexes and/or large protein complexes preferred.)
• Familiarity with X-ray crystallography, or micro-ED, techniques is preferred).
• Strong track record of scientific accomplishments within one or more cryo-EM techniques, with expertise in macromolecular sample preparation, data collection, structure solution and refinement.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills with ability to work in cross-disciplinary drug discovery environments.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.