Sr Principal Scientist Computer Aided Drug Design Novartis San Diego
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history! For over 21 years, the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for Novartis global research organization, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
The Novartis Institute for Biomedical Research at GNF is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a Senior Principal Scientist position in Computer Aided Drug Design (CADD).
The successful candidate will lead a group of Computational Chemists and work closely with internal and external interdisciplinary drug development teams performing structure and ligand based computational design to address biomedical need across a wide range of disease areas and drug modalities.
The chosen applicant will play an integral role in defining the direction and science of Computation Design at NIBR / GNF
• Coordinate internal Computational drug design and collaborate with internal and external partners in drug design.
• Initiate and lead structure-based design projects in relevant therapeutic areas, collaborating with medicinal chemistry and to optimize design and targeting strategies.
• Partner with colleagues in medicinal chemistry, structural biology, discovery biology and biotherapeutics to apply innovative computational approaches to accelerate the development of novel drugs and drug modalities.
• Evaluate emerging computational and drug modalities and their application to drug discovery workflows.
• Define, implement and communicate computational strategies to cross-disciplinary teams via conventional and state of the art approaches such as Virtual Reality.
San Diego, CA
Research & Development
What you will bring to the role:
• Ph.D. degree in Computational Chemistry or a related discipline with at least 3 years’ experience in an Industrial or Equivalent Computer Aided Drug Design environment.
• Ability to collaborate and lead in a global multidisciplinary drug design environment
• Strong track record of scientific accomplishment with experience in a variety of drug discovery techniques such as small molecule ligand and structure-based design, virtual and pharmacophore ligand screening, covalent compound design, molecular dynamics and computational quantum mechanical techniques.
• Aptitude for application of chemical biology techniques to develop new drug modalities for hard to drug targets.
• Advanced understanding of medicinal chemistry and drug discovery with capabilities in several of the following areas - bioassays, cheminformatics, SAR analysis and calculation of ADME/Toxicology properties of molecules.
• Knowledge of multiple state-of-the-art drug design tools such as, Maestro (Schrodinger), MOE (CCG), Rosetta, Knime and ICM (Molsoft)
• Excellent written, oral and visual communication skills for work in a number of cross-disciplinary teams.
• Medicinal Chemistry
• Experience in modern computational skills such as scripting, data science and machine learning/artificial intelligence preferred.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.