Principal scientist I– Chemical Biology - Novartis / GNF / San Diego,
4 FDA approved drugs; 15+ clinical candidates; 400+ patents; 20 years of GNF history! For over 21 years, the Genomics Institute of the Novartis Research Foundation (GNF) has been doing cutting-edge innovative drug discovery for Novartis global research organization, the Novartis Institute for BioMedical Research (NIBR).
We are seeking an organic chemist with strong background and interest in chemical biology or biochemistry who is flexible, inclusive and highly motivated. The successful candidate will have an enterprise-thinking mindset and will collaborate closely with multi-disciplinary teams within the organization. This is a chance to work on innovative drug discovery strategies with the potential to be clinically transformative.
-Collaborate closely with colleagues to advance innovative therapeutic-relevant concepts
-Develop and apply chemical biology techniques to advance drug discovery hypotheses and projects
-Excellent hands-on ability in synthesizing and using photoaffinity crosslinking/activity-based probes in chemoproteomics studies, fluorescent imaging, binding affinities measurement, and post-translational protein modifications
-Elucidate biological mechanisms of hits from phenotypic screening
San Diego, CA
Research & Development
What you will bring to the role:
- Strong background in Organic Chemistry with research interest in Chemical Biology or closely related field with proven track record of accomplishments
- Assess and implement emerging cutting-edge technologies and novel assays in chemical biology
- Ability to champion and advance creative concepts in a team setting
- Innovative, independent and detail-oriented problem-solving skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively but focus as needed
- Engagement with multidisciplinary project teams to design, execute, and interpret experiments
- Ability to manage complexity and ambiguity in a highly matrixed work environment
- Effective communication skills, both verbal and written
- Productive relationships with collaborators and champion Novartis values and behaviors
Relevant experience includes:
- Design and application of functional chemical probes to interrogate specific biological pathways both in vitro and in vivo
- Application of biochemical and/or biophysical tools to evaluate small molecule drug binding to protein targets
- Understand tissue culture, chem-proteomics, enzyme kinetics, bio- conjugation, and drug delivery concepts
Desirable but not required
- Direct experience in covalency-based drug discovery approaches
- Direct experience in chemical inducers of proximity
- Experience with bio-conjugation techniques, high throughput assays using gel electrophoresis, enzyme kinetics, microscopy, high content imaging, and flow cytometry
- Application of chemo-proteomics, functional genomics methods, including CRISPR and cDNA overexpression-based screens and bioinformatics data to study pathways and identify targets
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.