Principal Scientist Protein Sciences Novartis NIBR San Diego
6000! That’s the number of associates in the Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research (NIBR). This division is the innovation engine of Novartis, focusing on powerful new technologies that have the potential to help produce therapeutic breakthroughs for patients.
The Protein Sciences department is looking for a highly motivated and talented physical biochemist. The candidate will be part of a multidisciplinary team with the following responsibilities:
• Support biological drug discovery programs by providing timely bioanalytical services for recombinant proteins and research-stage biotherapeutics
• Assist in the development and validation of biophysical methods to support candidate selection, determine mechanism of action, provide quality control, etc
• Provide support and guidance to end-users (maintain instruments, training, troubleshooting bioanalytical challenges, data analysis and interpretation)
• Concise/accurate review and interpretation of technical data
• Maintain a good understanding of relevant assay technologies, principles, and protocols
• Present scientific and technical work
• Write technical reports, SOP’s, and guidelines related to activities
• Interact with various project teams across the institute and Novartis-wide
San Diego, CA
Research & Development
What you will bring to the role:
• PhD in biochemistry, or related field plus +5 years experience in protein sciences or physical biochemistry
• Extensive hands on experience and knowledge of bioanalytical methods including anSEC, anHIC, CE, IEF, etc
• Extensive hands on experience and knowledge of biophysical methods including SPR, DSF, DSC, MALS, DLS, and ITC
• Experience with diverse proteins including antibodies and drug conjugates where the latter include small molecule payloads, RNA, synthetic polymers, etc
• Knowledge of relevant laboratory tools and procedures (standard protein chemistry techniques, ELISA, Western Blot, chromatography, etc)
• Ability to function in cross-functional teams ,overcome challenges, develop and implement effective strategies and quickly adapt to new responsibilities
• Strong organizational and time management skills
As part of a multidisciplinary team the candidate will have opportunities to become involved in MS and NMR activities. The position is available immediately.
Why consider Novartis?
We believe the answers are found when curious, courageous and collaborative people like you are brought together in an inspiring environment. Where you’re given opportunities to explore the power of digital and data. Where you’re empowered to risk failure by taking smart risks, and where you’re surrounded by people who share your determination to tackle the world’s toughest medical challenges.
We are Novartis. Join us and help us reimagine medicine.